SE2 released TODAY 1st Sept 2015
Today is a great day for Oracle Standard Edition Community!
The “Oracle Database Standard Edition 2 (=SE2)” has been released, and can now be downloaded.
What’s new with SE2?
- The concepts “Standard Edition (=SE)” and “Standard Edition One (=SE1)” is gone, and the new name is “Oracle Database Standard Edition 2 (=SE2) edition”
- Oracle Database Standard Edition (=SE) Licensed Customers can download the new SE2 without any extra costs
- Standard Edition One (=SE1) Licensed Customers can download the new SE2 with an extra migration fee. Yes, that’s right. Without the extra migration cost, these customers are not allowed to migrate to the SE2.
- The Oracle Database Standard Edition Two (=SE2) will have a restriction of max 2 sockets, and max 16 threads/database. And if hyper thread is in use, there is a max 8 threads/database.
- The RAC feature will be available in the new SE2 release. Please keep in mind the max 2 socket and max 16 cores (hyper thread= max2 socket &max 8 core) rule.
See oracle.com for more information.
How long will Oracle Database 184.108.40.206 in any edition remain under Premier Support?
Full patching support for 220.127.116.11 for all versions of 12gR1 (Enterprise Edition, Standard Edition and Standard One Edition) will be proviced for an additional 12 months from the release of 18.104.22.168 SE2, so through until end August 2016.
After that period Oracle Database 22.214.171.124 will enter Sustaining Support. There won’t be any Extended Support for Oracle Database 126.96.36.199 in any edition.
Will there be an Oracle Database Standard Edition 188.8.131.52 SE/SE1?
Beginning with the release of Oracle Database 184.108.40.206, Oracle Database Standard Edition (SE) and Oracle Database Standard Edition One (SE1) are no longer being released. 220.127.116.11 was the final edition that we will produce for SE and SE1.
MOS Note:742060.1 Release Schedule of Current Database Releases does reflect this extension already: Release:18.104.22.168 Patching Ends: 31st of August 2016
I suspect lot’s of tweets on this subject, so I hope you all will remember to use the #orclse or #orclse2 tag.
Take care, stay well, and enjoy a life with the new SE2!
Turku 1st September 2015